Friday, July 29, 2011

SportTracks and its Almost Unlimited Resources

SportTracks is a pretty amazing program. It allows and encourages people to create plug-ins which expand the usability and versatility of SportTracks.

For example, I import my iBike files directly with a plugin created by http://mechgt.com/st/. This developer has also created plug-ins for training planning, training load analysis and many more. Here's a screenshot within SportTracks that shows the bike speed and relative wind speed. This is from the actual wind speed data as recorded by the iBike, not an approximation from weather stations. Of course, you can zoom in to any one section for more detail.















There is also a very powerful plugin called Training Analysis from Old Man Biking (I love the name) . OMB as he is affectionately known has created numerous plugins for many different purposes. Far too many to mention, be sure to browse his website and give some of them a try.

Here's a chart that shows me getting very close to my maximum heart rate on the last repeat. I hit 178bpm which is just 3 beats shy of my max. At that point I called it a day since one more effort would probably have gotten me half way up the hill and waving a white flag. As you can see I'm not very strong, but my focus isn't as much on strength as it is on health. But that's for another day.












Below is a graph overlaying power on a 16 second delayed heart-rate graph. You can see from about mile 48 to 54 my HR start to gradually climb as my power holds fairly steady or even decreases slightly. Yes, I was slowly tiring and working harder to produce the same power.


I'm a data hound as you can tell. I like looking at big pictures and learning from all the data thrown at me. Today's technology allows us to do things we couldn't have imagined even a few years ago. And through all of that I have to constantly remind myself to "SHUT UP AND PEDAL!"

No comments:

Post a Comment